Fourth Genre’s Writer as Reader will feature essays that respond to creative and literary nonfiction, focusing primarily on a single work of nonfiction. Successful Writer as Reader essays will be neither jargon-laced nor disinterested, but will find a home in the personal and will tell a story about the author’s relationship with one particular work of nonfiction.
Writer as Reader essays are invited as responses to . . .
- A personal essay or memoir
- Literary journalism
- Personal cultural criticism
- Another work commonly classified with creative nonfiction
Writer as Reader essays may focus on nonfiction that . . .
- Has influenced the author’s own writing
- The author provides to students as an example of the genre’s possibilities
- The author has reevaluated over time
- Is widely influential
- Is challenging due to its form, innovation, content, history, or politics
- May be contemporary or from another historical period
Submit essays to be considered for the Writer as Reader feature at fourthgenre.submittable.com during the regular fall submission period (Aug 30 – Nov 30). Please identify in your cover note that the editor should consider your essay for this feature.
Queries welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org